According to the Association for Safe International Road Travel, nearly 1.3 million people die in car crashes each year, and an additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled, globally. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
Those staggering statistics can make the roads seem like a dangerous place, but taking simple precautions will help you stay safe on the road. Something as easy as putting on your seat belt or keeping your music at a comfortable volume can make a huge difference in your safety.
With the holiday season quickly approaching, Bachman Chevrolet has come up with a few safety tips perfect for a new driver, or a refresher course for seasoned professionals.
TIPS FOR SAFE DRIVING
- Don’t text and drive. We hear this all the time, but we’ve all been guilty of opening a text, or even using social media while driving. Wait until you are safely stopped to check any messages or fiddle with your phone. It’s not worth your life or another’s. It can wait.
- Steer clear of Road Rage. If you see an agitated driver, just hang back away from the commotion. Aggressive or agitated drivers generally weave in and out of traffic and tend to tailgate other vehicles. Wait until the alleged Road Rager moves on before trying to pass other vehicles or make drastic decisions.
- Obey speed limits. You may have heard that speeding gets you from point A to point B only 3 minutes faster on average. It’s not worth it. Going too fast gives you less time to stop and/or react. Slow down.
- Watch for others. If you’re driving in the country or on windy roads, watch out for deer and wandering animals. Early morning and at night are when animals frequent pastures with nearby highways, so be extra careful during these times.
- Always wear your seat belt. Seat belts save countless lives every year. Make sure all passengers buckle up, too, and never try to fit more people in the car than you have seat belts.
Bachman Chevrolet wants all drivers to arrive at their destinations safely. If you are interested in a Chevrolet, contact Bachman Chevrolet today to schedule an appointment with a sales representative and get a quote online. Have other questions about Chevy? Ask us in the comments below.